H2-B Visa

H-2B Work Visa for Skilled and Unskilled Workers

The H2B Visa is a temporary visa allowing employers in America to recruit overseas workers if the need for the foreign employee is only temporary in nature, mainly for non-agricultural jobs, in which the United States workers are in short supply. This visa is granted for a 1 year period and may be extended for additional periods of 1 year to a maximum of 3 years, although an extension is very rare and hard to obtain. Up to 66,000 H-2B Visas are issued every year.
The process of obtaining a H2B Visa can be quite lengthy, as much of the procedure is based around the employer obtaining a labor certification. The petition filed by the employer may be for multiple workers for the same position.

For a H2B Visa to be granted:
The employer must first obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labour to establish there are no American workers who are able to fill the position of employment, and the employment of the foreign worker will not adversely affect the employment opportunities of American workers;
The employer must prove to the USCIS the need for the position is temporary and the position itself is temporary; and
The employer must petition the USCIS for the visa once the labour certification is granted.

To qualify for a H2B Visa:
The prospective employee must establish they have the right qualifications for the position (can be skilled or unskilled, such as seasonal work); and
The prospective employee must prove they intend to leave the country once employment ceases.

Other Work Visas:
H-1B Work Visa is available to college-educated professionals
Australian citizens are eligible for E-3 Treaty Professional Visas
There are two types of Work Visas available for Registered Nurses
TN NAFTA Work Visas are available exclusively to Canadian and Mexican citizens